Sunday, May 1, 2011

How to Base Figures with Washers

When it comes to basing for my 1/72 figures, I prefer using washers.  The washers give the finished figures added weight and stability,  The washers also allow for using magnetic tape to store my figures.  The only problem is gluing the vinyl figures to the metal and making them stick.  I solved this problem using Loctite Activator, and plastic card to make a strong bond.



(Click on the image for a larger version)
I use a 3/4 inch circular paper cutter to clip small pieces of plastic card.  I clip the pieces large enough to cover the hole in the center of the washer but not so large it hangs over the edge of the washer.




(Click on the image for a larger version)
I next glue the plastic card in place using super glue.  Once the glue is dry it is time to glue the figures in place.




(Click on the image for a larger version)
I then apply Loctite Activator to the plastic card and the bottom of the figure.  I allow the pieces to dry for at least a minute (that is why the activator pen above has a picture of a red stop hand with 1 minute on it).  I then apply a couple of drops of super glue on the plastic card and then put the figure on top.  As soon as the super glue is dried the figures are ready to finish basing.




(Click on the image for a larger version)

I have taken to using Ceramic Tile Caulk to add texture to my bases.  I use a caulking gun to dispense a glob of the caulk onto some junk mail or other disposable stuff.  I then use a toothpick or old craft knife to trowel the caulk on to the figures base.  This caulk has the texture of normal tile grout, but it is flexible when it is dried since it is made of latex caulk.  I also like the fact that after it has dried for 15 minutes the caulk forms a skin on the surface.  At this point, you can sculpt the surface into any shape you like since the caulk below is still soft.  You can use your finger tips to make it really smooth or a tooth pick to rough it up.  The more I play with it the more I learn new ways to get different effects.




(Click on the image for a larger version)
If I have a slotta figure instead of ones with a flat base, I use the technique pictured above.  I then seal up any remaining gaps with plastic card and apply Ceramic Latex Caulk.

Questions and comments are always welcome. Thanks for reading...




Copyright © Ron Hamilton 2011, All Right Reserved.

9 comments:

  1. I found a trick with covering the holes, although your method is also good (and probably quicker than mine). I glued the washers to a sheet of paper, with woodglue, then made a mix of woodglue and sand and filled the hole with it, then stuck the fig straight onto this with a blogb of woodglue. Takes a long while to dry though.
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Привет!Я тоже такие использую шайбы.Думал что я такой один.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could this method work also for glueing figures on a dio?

    I will have it a try, and thanks for the tutorial!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I think it would work fine. A lot of modeling is personal preference. I have used the caulk on terrain features, and the plastic card is easier to glue to other materials and have create a durable bond than the vinyl figures bases. I'll keep an eye on your site to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea and great tutorial with pics. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice blog about 1/72, was looking for it!

    cheers,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

In an effort to keep my comments spam free and to avoid the use of CAPTCHA. (I find them annoying) Comments on this blog are moderated. Please be patient, it may take a bit of time for me to approve them.

Thanks for commenting.